Makeup That Won't Wash Off
WOLLONGONG beauty therapist Elizabeth De Martin learnt the art of cosmetic tattooing as a young girl in North Africa.
Her family, which had been holidaying in Libya at the outbreak of World War II, decided to make the great continent their home after war plundered their land in Italy.
Ms De Martin's budding creative talents were utilised by the African women in preparation for their weddings.
``Brides were tattooed as part of the bridal ceremony," she said.
``We used to cut into the skin and apply ink with a stick. There was no anaesthetic and it was very painful."
Today's methods, she said, are a far cry from those days and clients now undergo a safe and quick operation under local anaesthetic or with the help of anaesthetising creams.
Ms De Martin's Kembla St salon is one of just a handful of Illawarra beauty parlours that offer cosmetic tattooing - a practice that attracts all ages.
``Permanent eyebrows are requested by many mature women who may have been left with sparse eyebrows due to a lifetime of tweezering," she said.
``Women of all ages like to have a permanent lipliner or full lip colour applied and there are also a few who request permanent eyeliner or beauty spots."
Ms De Martin said her main priority was to ensure clients were happy with what they got, even if it meant a trial run.
``With permanent eyebrow colour I firstly get the client to colour in her eyebrows as usual. If that looks fine, then that's how we do it. If I think I can improve on it, I will show her," she said.
``In the end the client decides and even if it is not technically the shape that best suits her face, it may be the shape she has had all her life and she is comfortable with.
``If the client wishes I can do a semi-permanent tattoo, which will last just a few months.
With a sterilised, disposable needle I will draw a light outline, which only scratches the surface of the skin."
This temporary tattoo allowed clients to get used to their new look, gauge the reaction of family and friends, and decide if they want a permanent tattoo, she said.
Permanent does not necessarily mean for the rest of your life, although it can for some people. Generally the tattoo lasts for about five years.
It all depends on skin type, as well as age, according to Ms De Martin.
``The colour will take a lot better to younger skin, which contains more collagen and elastin," she said.
``Tattooing doesn't work for everyone as some skin types just don't take the colour well at all which is why I make sure I have an in-depth consultation with the client before we start the procedure."
The price of cosmetic tattooing varies from place to place and from person to person depending on skin condition.
However, Ms De Martin charges approximately $300 for eyebrows.
Comments
Post a Comment